Principal Scrum Master
Location: San Jose, California or Boston, Massachusetts
Type: Full Time
Who We Are
Virsec is the leading provider of application-aware workload protection. We’re building the future of cyber security, and we’re looking for talented, problem solvers to join our team. By leveraging the innovative and highly acclaimed approach behind our breakthrough and patented technology, Virsec is building products that will fundamentally change the way businesses and organizations protect high-value data. We’re bringing a novel product to market and are revolutionizing the cyber threat landscape as we do it.
Who We Need
Virsec is looking for an experienced, self-driven Agile Principal Scrum Master, who helps Engineering teams deliver great products following Agile principles, being an enabler for the quality outcome and drive engineering processes with each individual and teams. This individual helps in Program management with a focus on data points captured on the planning and execution, to be used for the benefit of the overall Engineering organization’s organic growth.
What You'll Do
• Will work closely with 2-3 Scrum teams to help them with backlog definition for sprints partnering with Team Leaders
• Guide the teams on how to use Agile/Scrum practices and values3. Establishing the Dependency resolution mechanism and diligently working through the mechanism to scale the working model across cross vertical teams
• Facilitate getting the work done without coercion, assigning, or dictating the work.
• Facilitate discussions, decision making, and conflict resolution
• Good skills in facilitation, situational awareness, conflict resolution, continual improvement, empowerment, and increasing transparency with visual indicators
• Improve team productivity using data from Agile project management tools like Jira
• Conduct effective Retrospective sessions and drive action items to closure satisfactorily
• Maintain Jira hygiene regarding US details, Epics details and estimations
• Engage teams in defect resolution and effectively manage release scope and timelines
• Assist in Program management in all respects and work collaboratively to make program execution data driven
Skills You'll Need to Have
• Bachelor's degree, or foreign equivalent, in Computer Science, Engineering or a closely related discipline
• 8+ Yrs of overall work experience with 2-3 years of specialized experience as a Scrum Master/Senior Scrum Master
• Must Have: Atleast, first level Scrum Master certification (CSM, PSM I)
• SME Knowledge of project management principles and Agile development methodologies
• Must have development/QA background with a reasonable technical acumen
• Experience in diligently applying Scrum principles, practices, and theory.
• Knowledge of numerous well-documented patterns and techniques for filling in the intentional gaps left in the Scrum approach(example: numerous Burn-down techniques, numerous Retrospective formats, handling bugs, etc)
Additional Desired Skills
• Should be good at analyzing Sprint deliverables through burn down charts and lead the teams towards effectiveness in subsequent sprints
• Should be good at Excel charts and metrics collection mechanisms in Jira
• Should understand estimation techniques well and have a maturity to towards implementing what works best in the teams
• Should understand Defect Metrics, velocity metrics and related time-value significance.
• Should have exhibited effective servant leadership style to get work done with personal influence rather than authority
• Should have run release planning meetings with all stakeholders involved
• Must have run effective Retrospective sessions and have proven abilities
What We Offer
• An opportunity to do something great for yourself and the world
• A great work environment that supports growth and development
• Competitive compensation and benefit packages
• Stocked kitchen with healthy (and some unhealthy) drinks, snacks, fruit and lunch options
• Catered team lunch once a week
• A company who enjoys having fun; holiday and summer parties, and fosters learning and lots of other great stuff!
This Job Description is intended to be a general representation of the responsibilities and requirements of the job. However, the description may not be all-inclusive, and responsibilities and requirements are subject to change.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is the policy of Virsec to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants without regard to unlawful considerations of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, sensory, physical, or mental disability, marital status, veteran or military status, genetic information, or any other classification protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, job assignment, compensation, promotion, benefits, training, discipline, and termination. Reasonable accommodation is available for qualified individuals with disabilities, upon request.